As my Christmas vacation draws to a close I am starting to think of themes for 2015. Why themes and not goals or resolutions? Well I think resolutions are sort of setting yourself up for failure and goals are very rigid so I am going with more general themes.
- Obviously the first theme I am working towards will be updating this site at least once a week ideally with something technical that I have learned during the week or thoughts on a problem I am solving.
- Next on the agenda I would like to try to read more. I haven’t been reading as many books as I like to during 2014. But at the end of the year I have been picking up the pace a bit so I hope to read at least 2 books a month. My system I have been using is to try to get through 10% of a book a day on my kindle.
- I would like to spend more time doing stuff in Spring Boot this year. I have been reading Greg Turnquist’s Learning Spring Boot and it is a great book which I strongly recommend. He seems to lay out the information right when I want it in the book and has saved me tons of time that I would have spent digging in the docs for answers otherwise.
- Anyone who knows me know that I am not a big front end person, but as a full stack developer I need to know all the layers of the stack, so I think 2015 is the year that I need to learn Angular JS. I learned Knockout JS in 2014 and appreciated how much more productive it was for things than just jQuery and it seems to me that the market is all going Angular and people say it is more productive than knockout so it is time to give it a try.
- I am hoping to do some architectural updates at work. I am ready to get our stack upgraded (I want to be on Spring 4.1 and Java 8 at a minimum and ideally JPA 2.1 as well instead of 2.0). I always prefer to run the latest stuff so I will be working hard to make sure that I can do so. On that note I submitted a Jira for the issue holding me back on Spring 4.1 related to the aspectj-maven-plugin. With any luck I will be on Spring 4.1 at work within the next 2-3 weeks. Java 8 may take a bit longer as it is going to mean a container upgrade.
Anyway that is what I have come up with so far I am sure more things will apply as time goes on, but this is a good start to my year plan. Now to enjoy my final 2 days of vacation before I return to work.