Google has changed their algorithm to favor sites that are more mobile friendly if the user is coming from a mobile device. So of course wanting my blog to show up in search results I ran google’s tests on it. The first one they have is Mobile-Friendly. I ran that and am happy to report that WordPress automatically took care of that for me. The other tool that you should run against your site is Google Pagespeed. When I ran that it actually had a list of a few things that I should fix to make my page faster. Some of them I wasn’t quite sure if I can change inside of WordPress easily but one that it highlighted was that I didn’t have GZip compression enabled for my site. They also give instructions on how to fix the issue. So now because of Pagespeed my site will now compress files it sends across. Anyway wanted to mention them both as they both seemed pretty useful to me.
The Electronic Freedom Foundation has released a nice post on how one should configure their server to pass the Qualsys SSL Labs test with an A+. Given that when I initially setup my site it took me like 3 hours of messing around to get my site to pass with an A+ I figured I should share this post with everyone as it is so useful. Check it out here!
I have been using open source software now for about 20 years. One of the things that I always saw discussed back in the day was if you don’t like the way a project is being run you can always fork it and do things differently. In all my years I have never actually felt the need to do such a thing because lets be honest running an open source project is a ton of work. As readers of my blog know I have been wanting to update to Spring 4.1. What has been holding us back was a change in aspectj 1.8.2 where it would automatically process annotations found in the code. This ends up generating the hibernate meta-model and dumping the files wherever maven was invoked. So trying to work within the project I opened up a jira for an enhancement which would allow me to pass a flag to the compiler to not process the annotations. There was a quick response at the beginning of January and I was left with the impression that this would be handled in a couple of weeks. Finally in the middle of February with the work still not done Ralph Engelmann submitted a patch which would actually implement the feature.
I thought certainly once someone had actually done the work and implemented this a new version would be forthcoming but it has gone to complete silence on that jira. Maybe this has fallen to the wayside with the news that Codehaus is shutting down. In any event my patience was up a few weeks ago so I was like let me group the source code and throw it on github and apply the patch. The first thing I found was they use Subversion instead of Git which seemed pretty suprising to me. Who would use SVN anymore, it is so terrible compared to git. Anyway I got the source code and threw it up on my github account. I applied the patch and for grins upped the version to a Java 7 minimum as I have no intention of using java 6. I changed the package name to avoid confusion. I have no desire to actually maintain this project so I haven’t done anymore to actually get it out into a maven repository. I think my plan in the short term is to just install this into our local nexus server and use it to bring us up to Spring 4.1. My hope for the medium and long term is that once they deal with the codehaus move this will get updated and I can back to the codehaus project as I don’t want to maintain this. But for now I am going nuclear and forking it and moving on…
I came across this book: SEO Like I’m 5: The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Search Engine Optimization
Anyway it is free I think through tomorrow on kindle, so if you want to learn some more about SEO strategies this seems like a good way to do it for free. I downloaded it, but haven’t had a chance to check it out at all yet.